View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Jim, a coach who complains about a late whistle to me has lost his credibility. All I do is tell them they must agree with the call since they can only complain about the timing. I never explain further.
I think the issue arises because when a block or illegal use of hands or other foul is called, the whistle sounds right away. With fouls on outside shots, the officials often wait until the shot misses to blow the whistle. To many observers this seems like the official is determining whether there is a foul based on whether or not the shot went in, whereas the observer thinks a foul is a foul, and think that whether the shot goes in or not is irrelevant.

As I mentioned, I've heard this explained that the official has to see the whole play in order to determine whether the shooter has been disadvantaged. Is this a convention for fouls on shots, or are there other plays where the official should wait before whistling a foul? Is there a simpler way of explaining this to fans and coaches. (Many may feel this is pointless, but when I'm game management I am asked to explain the officiating frequently.)

I am involved with youth basketball more than HS level basketball and many coaches are inexperienced and untrained and need some guidance. In NY, everyone thinks Billy Martin and Lou Piniella should be their role models.