View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
As for getting too rough...to a degree coaches have input on how the game is called. Rough play is always a POE. That said...IMO "box out!!!" and "put a body on 'em!!!" are pretty much code words for "you aint playing rough enough for me".

IOW coaches have a hand in this as well, don't you think?
Coaches are not complaining so much about rough play in the paint (at least not to me). They are complaining about too much contact permitted on the ball handler and the shooter. They feel that it has become open season on shooters, particularly after a shot has been released.

One complaint I hear often is against the 'late whistle' where the official waits to see if the ball goes in before using the whistle. I've heard the phrase "see the whole play before making a call", but I don't have enough of an understanding of the principle involved to explain it to others.

BTW, many coaches have also said the current level of contact permitted is fine. As long as it is called consistently from game to game and from official to official, they'll coach their players to deal with it accordingly.