View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Interesting. At all the camps I have been to (including the two this summer), I have always been told that the trail should be at the 28-foot line, 4-feet onto the floor with your back to the coach. This allows a pleasant conversation without letting the coach put his arm around you (boy does that look bad to the other coach). It's also far enough away from the coach that it's usually obvious if he/she is acting in a way that deserves some attention. If the conversation is pleasant, you can talk with the coach through your whistle.

Z
This is pretty much what I had been taught previously. And it seemed to work pretty well, although here the only leagues that use 3 whistle are rec leagues. So that's hardly compelling experience.

And I realize that it has worked well for some of you, like Dan.

It just seems like kind of a conspicuously out of the way place to put one of the officials. Especially since he has to take several steps in on the final shot in order to be useful. The first time I saw this, it looked like the official was trying really hard not to be near the coach. But I guess if every official is doing it, then the coaches will be used to it and not perceive it as being shunned. And it does give the coach at the far end of the floor equal (-ly bad) access to him.