View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
if the coach does not handle the problem he/she is doing an injustice to the TEAM.

The Coach picks the players not us and they should be aware of any kids who have short fuses etc. In addition it is not our job to discipline players, that's the coaches job. An ejection is not a disiplinary move. It simply removes the player from that game but does not address the real issue.

Therefore in your opinions or experiences what is that "imaginary line" that differentiates the Coaches responsibility from ours regarding his/her players.

Pete Booth
I agree with the above statements, however, in my experience, many times the coaches can be clueless as well.
For example, when little Johnny draws a line in the dirt after taking strike three, I eject him. He no doubt wants an explaination, but he won't get it from me. If Johnny Sr. comes out and asks me why I just dumped his kid, I tell him that he drew a line and thereby was showing me up. I won't take that from adults, so I certainly won't take that from Jr. Many coaches used to tell me that they didn't know this action was that bad. "Well skip, now you do... share this information with as many players as possible."

My imaginary line; I don't teach them how to play or coach, but I will teach them how to keep themselves in the game.

This is just one example.

Also, what will warrent an early gate from me may not from my partner, and vice versa.

To close, I don't care how far away the perp is, if it deserves (in my opinion) my getting involved, I'll get involved.

Like John Wayne once said, "When you screw up, I'm gonna jump. And when I land, it's gonna hurt."