View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 20, 2006, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I was surprised to learn about the new FT mechanic this year that puts the T standing on the half line, 10-15 feet onto the floor during the first of two/first two of three shots. When I asked clinicians about it, the two answers I got (and they were all admitedly guesses) were to see subs better and to get the official away from the coach. The sub thing is interesting, but seems pretty obviously specious. Which leaves the coach thing. If the point of putting the calling official over there is to promote dialogue, why are we now putting that official so far from the coaches?
Interesting. At all the camps I have been to (including the two this summer), I have always been told that the trail should be at the 28-foot line, 4-feet onto the floor with your back to the coach. This allows a pleasant conversation without letting the coach put his arm around you (boy does that look bad to the other coach). It's also far enough away from the coach that it's usually obvious if he/she is acting in a way that deserves some attention. If the conversation is pleasant, you can talk with the coach through your whistle.

Z