View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
I'd just like to see it called. I saw one player (who was preparing to slap) methodically erase the front (i.e. pitcher's end) line of the box on her first at bat in two different games (I say methodically because it took her three tosses with her foot to make sure the line was covered, though she mixed in a couple of non-profitable earth moves, too). PU, standing right behind F2, said nothing. During second game, opposing coach calls time and asks about player obscuring the line... "Didn't see it, Coach." This is the second or third batter in the top of the first inning, with fresh lines...
As far as i know its only a rule in Fed ball.. other than that, its no call anyway. Most umpires probably dont care, IMO because so much time is spent behind F2 without a line, its nonessentially. Most tournaments I work the only game that has lines to begin with are the first game of the day and MAYBE they rechalk the field for the championship game .. other than that no lines. Or you work rec type games where there are no lines or Baseball box lines that you have to erase yourself.. It just becomes a non issue; unessentail to my judgement of hitting the ball outside the box.

There are times when I've put a line off to the side of the box front where no one usually notices just as a reference point especially if I've observed a slapper who may be pushing the limits. If I worried about having a unobscured front line of the batters box, there would be many long games.