View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
According to ESPN.com, the Wash/Fla game is the 28th time in MLB history that each team's lead-off batter hit a HR. They didn't list the last time it happened.

Here are a couple other stories that I thought were kind of interesting.

Quote:
Jose Canseco's All-Star pitching debut proved to be short.

The former major league star retired only one batter Tuesday night while giving up four runs in the first All-Star game in the independent Golden Baseball League.

"I feel great -- as good as ever," Canseco said.

Before his struggles on the mound, Canseco wowed the crowd of 3,111 with some titanic drives to win the home run derby.
This story is interesting to me b/c Canseco made the All-Star team after playing only 10 games in his latest stint in the minors. And now the team says that they are considering using him as a pitcher in regular games. Ridiculous.

A better story, tho, is John "Buck" O'Neil. He's 94 years old and walked twice in the Northern League All-Star Game. He led off the top of the first with an intentional walk and was pulled for a pinch-runner. However, he was then immediately traded and therefore eligible to play for the other team in the All-Star Game. So he also led off the bottom of the first. He was again intentionally walked, but didn't like it and took a swing at one of the pitches. The umpire got caught up in the moment, apparently, b/c it took 5 balls before O'Neil was awarded first base.

Quote:
Clad in a red-and-white Kansas City Monarchs jersey, O'Neil said he thought the last time he had swung a bat in a game was in 1955.

Asked if he remembered who he was facing in that last at-bat, he replied: "I don't remember yesterday, and you ask me who the pitcher was in 1955?"