Thread: Travel?
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
Quote:
NCAA rule 4-66- 4(b)-TRAVELING states "After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot, the pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble". If a player does so, such as an airborne player who has dropped the ball after jumping, then that player has committed a traveling violation when he touches the ball again, not a double dribble violation as you stated in another post.
Yes, but the traveling violation occurred when he lifted the pivot foot while still having the ball in his hands.
The official will want to wait in order to see whether the player passes the ball or actually dribbles, but the violation had already occurred.

Also, 4-18-3 reminds us that:
"the ball may be batted into the air, provided that it is permitted to strike the playing court one or more times before the ball is touched again with either hand." (which would be a double dribble violation, not travelling).

Anyway, I was thinking it's funny because we both agree it is a violation (it is also under FIBA rules, which I am more familiar with) and would call it.
Still, we don't agree about which kind of violation it is

[email protected]