View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 10:09am
Do not give a damn!!

I thought I would share.

I was in a Borders Book Store on Sunday after getting something to eat. I went into the book store and eventually went to the sports section. I happen to see a book on the shelf called "Coach's Guide to Girl's Basketball" (or something like that). The author of the book was a college coach and went into many aspects of coaching girl's basketball. I just happen to look at this book and went inside out of pure curiosity why coaching girl's basketball would be different. I came across a section of the book talking about the rules of the game. They gave different types of fouls and the first foul listed was called (and I **** you not) "Reaching." Then it got better, they had a picture describing the foul as well with a description of the foul. "Reaching" was called "reaching across the body of a player with the ball." The picture showed this and there was literally no contact. I sat there in shock (not really but this is for effect) as I read this. Then the book had a couple of other "foul descriptions," like Tripping were listed as well. Then the book went into a description on how hard it was to make a block/charge call for the officials.

Now I know why we continue to hear "That's a reach" all the time when working games.

Peace