View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureUmp
Does every umpire on this forum think they are so far above reproach that are not allowed to be criticized or questioned? I have read many posts on this site and the one common thing I have found are the umpires who post on here feel the need to belittle, critique and basically insult anyone who dares to question their knowledge or ability. Is this what it has come to? Umpires who feel they are bigger then the game and most coaches are rats or idiots? I may agree there are some coaches who want to act like they know the rules but really know very little but not all coaches who question an interpretation are idiots. The PU umpire does not call balls and strikes from a pedastal so the umpires on here need to get off theirs and quit insulting anyone who dares to disagree with them.
One other way to look at this, these forums are supposed to be for intelligent discussion and reasoning, not for anyone outside of the "circle" to be roundly criticized and insulted, even if its only implied. Relax, take a breath and don't beleive your own press, you are not gods and you are not always right. Also, a good umpire is a reasonable umpire who does not insult and ridicule all dissenters but instead is maybe humble enough to look and be open to other viewpoints.
Did you have a specific example from this thread you'd like to call BS on and ask the author to defend, or did you just want to make a speech?

In the absence of a specific complaint, I can only answer one generalization you seemed to make that isn't accurate. In the umpire vernacular, "rat" is not synonymous with "stupid." Rats aren't stupid animals; they're just rats.