View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I know, I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying I think it's a good thing to have an intermediate call between the basic foul and the flagrant. I just wish it were called something else. I mean why not an "excessive" foul, or "excessive contact" foul? If it had a different signal, and a different name, the penalty could still be the same, but there would be less explaining.
Ok, understood. Of course, if you had written it this way the first time, I would have grasped your meaning better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Using the intentional foul for "excessive contact" is a good call when a FLAGRANT seems unwarranted, but the kid was really reckless or hostile. I wish they'd find a different name for it. It's can hard to explain that while the contact wasn't intentional as in deliberate, the book gives us this call for excessive contact.
You might be interested to know that there used to be a hard contact signal a few years back. That consisted of the intentional foul signal and then moving the X downward in front of the body. I don't know if this was ever an official NFHS signal, but I believe that it was an NCAA signal. Some of the folks who have been around for a while and worked NCAA ball in the past could fill you in better.