View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
hi fellow stripes been awhile...doing varsity team camp and had a situation where I called an intentional (off ball) because the contact was excessive...we shot one/inbound poi...later I reread the defintion of an intentional and was left with the impression that any excessive contact had to be on ball only, that the only times you call off ball is if there is delay in game...when I read the case book one of the situations was pretty close to what I had...they chose to call it because it involved advantage of position...any comments?
Are you using NFHS rules?
If so, you should have shot TWO and inbounded at the spot nearest the foul instead of one and using the POI. In your case, the POI would be the spot nearest where the ball was located. So there is a difference.

Now to answer your question, the rules book says that excessive contact on the player with the ball shall be ruled intentional. It is implied that excessive contact away from the ball should also be treated in the same manner. You would certainly have a case of not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball!

Remember that while intentional fouls are not based SOLELY on the severity of the act, the severity certainly can be the determining factor.

Actually, I can't think of a case in which I wouldn't rule excessive contact away from the ball an intentional.