View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
when in doubt call...foul?

had a Senior Babe Ruth game this week at an absolutely awful field, no foul lines beyond the bases and what lines were painted weren't much to speak of. Im on the bases and the batter hits a shot down the right field line while I'm in A. it's right over my head so I turn and start running out, but I get out there and I realize that I might not be able to tell without a reference, I turn a round and find the base and try to straddle it and line up with the foul pole. the ball, of course, comes down right on the line. I call foul.

During my apprentice program that my high school association put together, the instructors have talked about what to do when you're not 100% certain. for example, if a pitch is close enough to make you stop and think, it should be called a strike. same goes for a play on the bases, if it's too close to call it's an out. whether it's the right philosophy or not it got me though my first few games very well. My question is, do you give the same benefit of the doubt to the offence or the defense here? should the "when in doubt call" be fair or foul

just curious if this is a situation anybody else has encountered.

Joe