View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Regional differences abound at the high school level. Good officials become aware of these things very quickly and are able to adapt to those expectations.
Is it regional, league or division? Or all the above?

High Shool in Ohio breaks up it's schools by divisions for playoff purposes based on enrollment. I think in basketball there are 4 divisions.

In Cincy, I know to some extent differences can be by league but how about by division (school size)? You work the D1 HS leagues, especially in the city league...you turn em loose and make sure they stay inside the lines. To be honest, those are my favorite to work because you WILL break a sweat.

But you go into the country and work some of the smaller schools, it's a different style of play altogether. So I think thats another adjustment to consider.

Back to the play...if the shot is gone and A1 gets blown up, it's a foul....why? In High school, how about airborne shooter?

Now how about shot gone...then contact on the arm and / or torso but A1 is able to return to the floor and play on.....I got nothing....Is it a foul? By exact wording yes but do we all consistently call the game this way? I doubt it whether you are talking about D4 high school or D1 college. Did the contact disadvantage the shooter? That is what I look for.

In both cases....we have a judgement call. At camp last week, one clinician had an interesting take he laid on us that I think applies to these situations.....at some point we all have to develop our own philosophy of what is a foul.

Me personally, I have "grown up" an advantage / disadvantage" type guy. I'll be perfect honest, this philosophy has served me very well in boys and small college and I believe hurt me to some extent in girls and womens. Actually to the point where in girls, I now call a much tighter game than I ever would a boys game regardless of the division.

Bottom line - Contact after the foul shot is the gray area and part of the gig. Lets just hope the folks we work for agree with our "philosophy" and / or lets hope we can adjust to theirs.

Larks