Thread: Woof woof T
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
You guys are kidding, right? It's only deception in the way that an iso play is deception. And if the other team is stupid enough to fall for it....

Although, if a team is 50 points ahead and they try this, I gotta admit, I'll interfere. But the only two times I've seen it work, it was the team that was way, way behind that tried it and pulled it off. No way I'm gonna do anything to stop that!
I disagree. It's deceptive in a different way than an isolation play is deceptive. It just isn't basketball; it's not the way the game is meant to be played. I rather like the terminology the NCAA uses: deceitful.

Rather than being like an isolation play, it's more like the play in football where one wide receiver acts like he's heading off the field, then stops right at the OOB line and turns to face the same direction as his teammates off the field. His ploy is to convince the defense that he's left the field so they don't guard him. It exploits the confusion surrounding an unrelated artifact of the game (in this case players entering and leaving the field between downs) to try and gain an unintended advantage. And, in this case as well, you could argue that the defense should be more aware and not get fooled. Only in football this play is illegal.

You can lump this wrong-end-of-the-floor play in with shouting/clapping at a player going for a layup and the barking dog. None of them are expressly illegal; but all of them just aren't how the game is supposed to be played.