Thread: Coach managment
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
I don't seem to recall reading that rule. Maybe it's time for me to have a refresher. Questioning judgment doesn't per se prove unsporting conduct, IMHO. Did I miss something?

If you're talking about someone questioning your judgment, rather than the call, I might see that. But questioning a call in an appropriate manner is part of the game. Obviously, your judgment and a player or coach's judgment will differ because of different training and experience. As long as they are not unsporting about it, I think they should have the right to question your call, as long as they are not trying to show you up.
By strict reading of NFHS rules, a head coach is definitely not allowed to question anything. A head coach is allowed, by rule to coach- period.

Rule 3-1-2 says that the captain is his/her teams representative, and is allowed to ask for an rules interpretation or get essential information. There is no mention of a coach anywhere in the rules being allowed to question anything, unless it's one of the listed errors. Captains certainly aren't allowed to ever question the judgement involved in a call either.

From an old POE in the 2001-02 book -- "Coaches must stay within the confines of the optional coaching box and are ONLY permitted to give instructions to players and substitutes. Coaches using the optional coaching do not have implied permission to roam the sidelines, attempt to influence the decision of an official, or conduct themselves in an unsporting manner." Iow, by rule, the head coach is not allowed to ask questions; he has to get his captain to do that.

Of course, in real life it's a whole lot different. The point is that a coach questioning an official's judgement sureasheck is leaving hmself open to get whacked.