Thread: Woof woof T
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Hmm...good question. My guess is probably not, because that is still a "game of basketball" play, even though it involves deception. I don't think the committee is against deception, per se, but against things that are outside and not really part of the game. If they were against deception, they would outlaw the pump-fake, wouldn't you think?
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this play, but the deception involved in the wrong-end-of-the-court play is of a different kind, or flavor or degree than a pump fake.

The pump fake is entirely within the spirit of the game, it's offense versus defense and the offense gains an advantage through more clever play. The wrong-end-of-the-court play doesn't pit the offense and defense head-to-head with equal opportunity, it simply uses the confusion that often surrounds an otherwise meaningless artifact of the game (i.e., changing baskets after the half) to potentially earn an uncontested basket. You can argue that the defense is at fault for not being aware, but the two situations just feel different. One is a triumph of clever play and skill over a defender with an equal opportunity, the other is too-clever-by-half manipulation and deception.