View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

This weekend I found myself working with a well respected veteran official from my chapter at a local tournament. Before our games started we were chatting and I mentioned that my focus this summer was managing coaches and avoiding T’s. He told me he felt that was one of his strengths and suggested I let him handle most of the interaction with the coaches during our first 3 game set and take mental notes…then we would talk during our break and change roles during the second 3 game set.

The first thing I noticed was he spoke softly and slowly when addressing the coaches. Whenever a coached questioned a call, the most popular responses were “I saw it differently coach.” “Looked different from my angle” “I hear you coach” and “We’ll watch for it.” One coached asked a question during play and he said “I’ll get with you next dead ball coach.” Another asked a question about a call after he reported so he just moved toward the division line, kept facing the lane and gave a quick answer.

During our break, we talked about what he had done. I tried the same tools he used, even though I knew his demeanor may have been the key. I was surprised at how well they calmed the coaches down. I had used the same phrases in the past with less success. I really think it was the softer voice and slower cadence. It is hard for a coach to escalate things when you are quite and calm.

As an aside, during our break I also asked him if he had any feedback about my work…mentioning that I was really aiming to convince the assignment secretary to give me more varsity. We had already covered camps…I’m going to two where the assignment secretary will be present to watch our chapter guys in attendance. He said that he felt I would have a lot better schedule this year…My game calling had improved…my mechanics were improving…my weight lose was really showing and, as a result, I moved better on the floor. Since I felt good about the review that may have played a part in how things went with the coaches…self confidence goes a long way.