Thread: Coach managment
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
If I can just comment on Rut's point - a very well respected referee once said that the purpose of a technical foul was to stop bad behavior, and if you could stop it without having to give the technical, you were just that much ahead.
I like that comment a lot!

When I said there are only three reasons to issue warnings, that is what I meant reasons. Yes, collectively there is only one warning to be issued, but three (and now four this coming season) reasons to issue the warnings.

I like everyones comments and expected this much response. I appologize if I don't respond right away to all of them. Please remember, the last two sections of my post is taken from a memo distributed by IAABO.

SnakeEye's comment about talking to coaches is probably the best comment posted yet. Most coaches don't want anything from an official than to be heard. I refer back to Las Vegas this past April. I had a coach who just wanted to be heard. All I had to do was listen to him and he smiled and I was able to walk away. I very rarely had to say anything with him and never had to warn him or give a T because I listened.

Thanks again.