Thread: Coach managment
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 04:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
I think referees - especially newer referees - tend to forget that a technical foul is just that, a penalty. It should not be used as a personal attack to get back at a coach or a player, but used when a coach or a player violates the rules.
I am not sure what you mean by this statement. But to be fair anytime a player or coach wants to question judgment calls (which happens all the time) we have the right under the rules to give a technical foul. Now to be real official use a great deal of judgment and do not call as many Ts as the rules allow. So I am not quite sure how officials are getting back at coaches and players when we use great restraint and not call anything.

Quote:
When I took the IAABO course a while back, game management was stressed as a critical component of refereeing. And although I agree game management is very important, I also agree that if a coach's behavior and/or statements are worthy of a technical foul; then give it to him/her – regardless if it is early in the game, late in the game or before the game even starts. With the exception of the three (four in the 06-07 season) NFHS rule book reasons for warnings – throw in plane violations, huddling by either team and contact with the free thrower, interfering with the ball following a goal and water on the court – no where in the book does it say we as referees are to issue warnings to coaches and players for misbehaving and breaking the rules. When we as referees start issuing warnings that the rules say don’t exist, we have just bent the rules set forth by the rules committee and have then put ourselves in a weak position for any sort of valid response to a coaches concern – you as a referee already broke the rules once.
There is a difference between an "official warning" that goes into the book and a warning for conduct which might not be that bad. Sorry, we should give warnings to try to prevent further action when warranted. It is not good common sense to just give out Ts for a minor and hardly understood infraction. And if you want to work higher levels, you better learn to communicate to players when appropriate and I have never heard a college assignor say the things you claim. I could even say the very same with HS assignors as well.

Quote:
Enforce the rules, all rules. That is what fair play is all about. Officials don't set aside the travel rule, why set aside the disconcertion rule, the player appearance rule, the behavior rule, grasping the ring rule, etc.? When those rules are not met by players or coaches, apply the penalty. Do it now, don't fret, don't put it on hold and don't worry about it. Eliminate the issue, the game will be better for it. While being "good" (by warning, ignoring, etc.) to that particular team ask what about the opposing team who is adhering to the rule(s)?
You are right we should not set aside a rule, but we should not be so technical that there is no room for judgment or common sense. I know I do not call travels that no one can clearly see. I try to call what is obvious and violations and fouls that most people can see took place. I am not going to nit pick a rule like the coaching box rule and give a T for a coach with a toe on the line. That is not good officiating in my opinion and it is not going to make you popular the higher you go up the latter.

Quote:
There are only three rules-approved warnings and they are delay warnings - boundary plane, huddle or contact with free thrower and interfering with the ball after a goal. The rules do not provide for any other warnings. Although officials may think they are “helping,” “using common sense” or “being reasonable,” a warning can upset coaches and players. Warnings can upset opposing players and coach. When warning, the official is setting aside a rule that is expected to be enforced. Seldom can a warning be FAIR as there are two teams.” [/I]
It is fair if you are giving both teams the same benefit of the doubt. You have every right to let a coach know they are getting out of hand so when you do give them a T, they know they were already close to the line. If a coach complains about the first call you make and by rule you give them a T, you will not be around very long as an official. And the rules committee wants us to enforce the spirit of the rules, not the letter. It is in their literature in both NF and NCAA rules.

Peace