Thread: Coach managment
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I did an AAU U-17 tournament in Las Vegas Easter weekend where every coach thought they were the best coach and knew everything there was to know about basketball. Most coaches also thought their players were the best players the sport of basketball has ever seen. Although this was a high profile Div 1 scouting tournament, very few players will really go on to play big games in Div 1 hoop. I have never seen so many T's assessed ever than in this tournament, but it was stressed to us before the tournament that a technical foul is merely a penalty for a violation of the rules - which it is.

I think referees - especially newer referees - tend to forget that a technical foul is just that, a penalty. It should not be used as a personal attack to get back at a coach or a player, but used when a coach or a player violates the rules.

When I took the IAABO course a while back, game management was stressed as a critical component of refereeing. And although I agree game management is very important, I also agree that if a coach's behavior and/or statements are worthy of a technical foul; then give it to him/her – regardless if it is early in the game, late in the game or before the game even starts. With the exception of the three (four in the 06-07 season) NFHS rule book reasons for warnings – throw in plane violations, huddling by either team and contact with the free thrower, interfering with the ball following a goal and water on the court – no where in the book does it say we as referees are to issue warnings to coaches and players for misbehaving and breaking the rules. When we as referees start issuing warnings that the rules say don’t exist, we have just bent the rules set forth by the rules committee and have then put ourselves in a weak position for any sort of valid response to a coaches concern – you as a referee already broke the rules once.

Some people call me a stickler and last year I ejected one coach and issued a handful of well deserved T's, but I am still one of the most requested referees among coaches in the area. Coaches remember referees and the calls they make. Expect a coach to remember you, but if you are consistent in your calls, they know that if they break the rules (good coaches know the REAL rules) they will receive the penalty.

I know a lot of referees out there don’t agree with my grasp on technical fouls and I am sure there will be many comments posted in response to my post. To end, I have copied a piece of the IAABO Midseason Interpreter’s Memorandum from Peter Webb (who by the way was recently inducting into the HS Basketball Hall of Fame - Congrats Peter!):

Enforce the rules, all rules. That is what fair play is all about. Officials don't set aside the travel rule, why set aside the disconcertion rule, the player appearance rule, the behavior rule, grasping the ring rule, etc.? When those rules are not met by players or coaches, apply the penalty. Do it now, don't fret, don't put it on hold and don't worry about it. Eliminate the issue, the game will be better for it. While being "good" (by warning, ignoring, etc.) to that particular team ask what about the opposing team who is adhering to the rule(s)?

There are only three rules-approved warnings and they are delay warnings - boundary plane, huddle or contact with free thrower and interfering with the ball after a goal. The rules do not provide for any other warnings. Although officials may think they are “helping,” “using common sense” or “being reasonable,” a warning can upset coaches and players. Warnings can upset opposing players and coach. When warning, the official is setting aside a rule that is expected to be enforced. Seldom can a warning be FAIR as there are two teams.”