Thread: Coach managment
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostja

A very popular move was to question a close call (block-charge or something like that) in a way that one could not ignore the coach, and as soon as you moved towards him to handle the situation coach turned around and walked away from you ... What is the referee supposed to do? Follow the coach who will probably pretend he can't hear the ref and finally give him a surprised "What do you want from me?" look with the ultimate power shrug of his shoulders while looking at his assistant coach for help, or just turn away and let it go? Both ways, you don't look very good in this situation, which is of course what the coach tried to achieve. I think it is part of the game, coaches try to get to know their refs, they try to influence our decision making and this does not only apply to bad coaches.
I will say that you do not have to explain every call. Just because a coach complains, does not mean you have to give an answer or answer right away. If a coach really wants to know what you called, they will ask later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostja
From my own experience a couple of years ago I know that at least in highschool in Canada referees were treated with more respect then in youth basketball here in Europe. Would you say this is also true for College basketball? And how would you react to the situation described above?
We also must understand that what works in one area might not work in another area. I know having worked inner-city schools, there is a different way you have to talk to coaches than a suburban school. Then there is a totally different way to talk to participants if you are dealing with a rural school. Now this is just in my state, I know when I see teams that are from outside of the state, they act differnet as well. And everything I just said was related to HS, college is another story as well.

Peace