View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
A few officials (actually most of them) that do college D1, D2 and D3 have told me that the T is their last option. Also they might average 1 T every 2 years. I seem to notice that the officials that have been doing high level games and I mean beyond HS for the most part have very FEW T's to their name and they work with the coaches rather than against them. These guys probably have at least 5-6 years minimum at the college level and they keep getting good games because they get along with the coaches and they work with them.

One guy told me at camp -- "Give a coach a long enough rope to hang himself where when he's done everyone in the gym knows exactly what and why." (not exact but almost)

Couple years ago a coach might have gotten a T from me for saying "that was a $hi..ty call" -- now thats just his way of expressing his opinion. Of course his delivery would be taken into account -- did he scream it across the gym or say it to me as i was running by.
That last part would get a T from me. And I don't think I'll change my opinion on that as time goes on. It is inappropriate language for a coach to use toward an official under any circumstances.

In today's world we have been far too lax in addressing inappropriate language. Remember, the HS or lower game is an extention of the classroom by definition. It is DEFINITELY not acceptable for a student to use that language. Coaches should be held to a higher standard anyway, as they are adults, and much more responsible for their choices and actions.