View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

my two cents

I enjoy the forum and the discussions and would only add that as a former D1 player, coach and father of a college player -- good players can and do indeed fake catching passes to allow them an advantage in hopes of not having to commit to a dribble. Some do it better than others.

After years of being away from officiating, I started calling again two years ago and noticed distinctively different problems for officials. And I think that applies here as well.

During the years when I first called games -- the rules, players and game seemed to remain more contant. Now, things change almost yearly and emphasis and rule re-definitions seem to be needed to keep up with the game. I've noticed officials receive points of emphasis and then take them to the court in slightly different ways -- I think that could be happening with greater emphasis on double dribble and traveling.

Officials at the highest levels get there becasue they are good and yet they are human. How they see and interpret things is often up to the rest of us.