View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
Now for my comments.
People who get saddled with an excess of plate time are usually either in an area with a overwhelming lack of decent umpires (big fish in a little pond) or are so demanding of others recognition of the perceived skill that other umpires are more than willing to forgo having to wear the plate gear.
I have known a few umpires over 28 years who would only work the plate or demand extra plate time. They have all without question, had an overly self inflated opinion of themselves and/or their ability. These kind of umpires lord themselves over others and generally make everyone else miserable or disgusted.
As for common sense, well, while I wouldn't fight a rule change like Mike advocates (nor do I disagree with him) I have always been able to keep FP and MP games moving without killing the ball in contrast to the spirit of the rules.
Most FP and MP games that I have worked especially over the last 8 or 9 years have been on par with or faster than most adult SP games.
Keeping the game moving within the spirt of the rules is called GAME MANAGEMENT and that my friend takes a lot of common sense.
I knew there was a reason we missed him.