View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil24
So, speaking one-man SP, what's the best mechanic for a play at third if there are trailing runners? Run all the way up to get the best possible angle on the play at third, and possibly miss a play at another base? Or try to get a decent angle while still keeping the other runners in front of me and hope I see it right? Or should I beg and plead for a partner?

I think you try to get the best angle you can for the play at third. I would be inside the diamond, working toward third, getting the best angle I could while staying out of the way of a possible throw from third to first. I wouldn't get too close, a couple feet from the mound area should be good. If there is a play at another base, you just need to hustle and get the best position you can.

You aren't going to see everything one-man so I think anyway that you do need to prioritize the plays and your position accordingly. The best though is when the bases are loaded and the batter hits a short fly-ball down the left field line so you have to judge fair/foul. Catch is made, throw goes home and all runners tag and move up a base. Then the defense wants to appeal the runner leaving first base early.