Thread: Woof woof T
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Woof woof T

We've mentioned the "barking dog" play here a couple of times as I recall. In the most recent issue of Referee magazine they list a case play in support of a new editorial change:

Unsporting fouls (4-19-14). Clarifies that an unsporting foul can be a noncontact technical foul that involves behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play. The rule clarification provides further inclusion for playing action that is unfair, unethical or disonorable.

First of all my understanding all along was that conduct that is unfair, unethical or dishonorable was unsporting. So I'm not sure what it is they're trying to clarify. Maybe I'm just dense.

However, the case play was interesting:

Late in the game, A2 is inbounding the ball on the endline in his or her own frontcourt. In an effort to deceive the other team, A4 lines up near the sideline on his or her hands and knees and begins to simulate a barkng dog. As the team B players turn to look at A4, A2 throws the ball to A5 who makes an uncontested layup. Ruling The official shall stop play, wave off team A's basket and issue an unsporting technical foul to A4. Team B will shoot two free throws and have the ball for a designated-spot throw-in at the division line opposite the table.

Obviously Referee is not an official source of interpretations. So, I put it to you, and I leave it to you (you gotta love Alfred P. Doolittle): Would you call a T for the barking dog play?