View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 03:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Being diabetic, perhaps I can add to this discussion. It seems apparent this kid is "Type I" and experiences periodic bouts with low blood sugar. This is not that unusual in his case. FYI - the NBA's Chris Dudley suffers from the same condition and is able to recover quickly from these bouts enough to continue in pro games.

Personally, this could turn into a real legal problem. IANAL, but there is the point of you not letting the kid participate due to his "disability" when he apparently has his parent's permission to do so. Plus, he is not a danger to anyone else on the court. On the other side, there is a precedent in the rules for prohibiting further play by players who experience certain symptoms during a game such as falling unconscious for any reason.

I really don't have a definitive answer. At the HS level, a ruling from your state association might be in order. At the rec level, you should always have an agreement with the venue as to who makes these decisions and who takes the responsibility.

I cannot speak specifically as to what the kid was going through, since I am Type II and that is somewhat different.