View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

1. This is organized 5th Grade. They have various levels...some are "athletic" and some are more to just get the kids involved.
2. I am not a parent reffing. ?!?
3. I am Ohio Class 2 Certified.
4. The assignor for this league does not require certified officials if that matters, but I was assigned to work this and 2 other games.

Larks

[/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, the reason I asked and where I am coming from. - I am a member of the BOD of a rec league in Virginia. I run the boys side of the league and am also the scheduler for all games and practices. We put on 78 house games a weekend, not counting games for our 13-county/select/travel teams.

We employ refs from age 13 to us old guys. HS certified and not, even have had few DIII and DI parents/refs doing our games when they had the time. We operate under modified NF rules.

When we train our refs, or first take on certified refs we make it VERY clear that the safety of the kids is paramount over any and all rules. It is only at the high school level that we approach NF style of play.

I asked about your qualifications and if you were certified to ascertain your level of involvement. We have found that non-parent refs that have formal training/certification sometimes follow NF rules too closely.

Given your certification I would say that you did the correct thing, by rule, if it would have been a scholastic game. Schools have to take responsibility for their actions. Being that it was rec, I would have not allowed the child in the game. If he had the seizure while he was on the court would you have let him back? (Said to say Rec leagues generally do not take responsibility)

I would like to get Mark PadgettÂ’s view on this.