View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

AlwaysWrong?

Chris:

You are simply wrong on the MLB mechanic.

Umpires have not worked as you mentioned since the early 30's (nee: See Bill Blair's definitive work on umpire history).

Continue to be a supporter of Little League mechanics as you wish.

Now it is true that I have not made a "pick off" call from the outside, but I have several times made a safe/out call from the outside when working the current four man mechanics as detailed by the CCA manual.

I am sorry I just don't get your point.

In a two man (and even three man) crew game we have the potential of multiple calls with multiple runners. Working inside gives an umpire the best compromise as to "all" actions that can occur on successive plays.

I would like to say something about "alternate views".

Durng the 1980's Dr. Tim Gallway wrote a book named "The Inner Game of Tennis". In the book Gallway talks of "alternative views." His basic point is that we get used to seeing something one way. We experience that over-and-over and think we see it well. We then try a different view and it "seems" to be better.

All it really is is "different".

We grow that into the thought that it is "better" when, in fact, it is just "different". That is what we are dealing with.

As I stated above:

I have made "slide and tag" calls at second base from the outside. It is simply a "different" look, not better not worse than working inside.

Keep trying to sell your "outside mechanic" . . . some may fall for it,

Just not me.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 08:45am.