View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Always Wright
I am somewhat surprised at the responses to my point. First of all, I am not advocating that we go back to positioning ourselves on the OF side of 2B. As I said, there are good reasons to be on the inside. However, in my opinion, it is not because you would get a bad look at a steal play. In fact, you can get a really good look at that play from the outside. For that, it is suggested that I would like us to return to calling outs with our thumbs and go back to 1-man games. I know I am old but I didn't realize I was that old.

Again, I would like to make two main points. First, unless you work softball, you probably have never made a steal call or pickoff call at 2B from the outside. Therefore, it is difficult to make a comparison. While my experience is very limited, as I said in a previous post, I have worked a couple of games where I had pickoff plays at 2B from the outside and I had a very good look at the play. Perhaps if there is someone who works fastpitch softball who reads this, you can tell us what kind of look you get from the outside.

Finally, and this is the point that no one has addressed yet and I would really like someone respond to, is plays at other bases. Let's picture for example, a play at home with the throw coming from straightaway CF. This is the exact mirror image of a steal at 2B. Those of you who think taking the steal play at 2B from the inside gives you the absolute best look at that play - do you follow that same positioning at the plate? Do you come into fair territory, shaded slightly up the 3B line, face the throw and have it turn you into the play at the plate? I think probably not (unless you are Bruce Froemming). You probably stay in foul territory on either the 1B or 3B line extended. That is precisely the look you would get at 2B from the outfield side. And that's the main point I wished to make. Please respond to that.

Chris Wright