View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 07:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Let me see if I've understood you correctly, Jurassic
  • A player commits a foul such as a block where the player sticks out a knee and the dribbler goes down...something that can happen several times per game
  • This leads to the fouled player to turning around and punch the fouler
  • You charge both with fighting without considering the nature of the first contact. You only consider that there was a punch at all. It doesn't matter that only one player lacked self-control and did anthing excessive. Both get penalized based on the actions of the worst offense, not on their own offense.
No Camron, you are misunderstanding me completely and are also mis-interpreting what I've been saying. I'm saying that if a player commits an intentional foul such as a deliberate two-handed push, and that deliberate, unsporting act causes another player to react by fighting, then the first player caused the fight, and by rule should be penalized for fighting.

I'm not talking about grabbing shirts like IU said, or sticking a knee out- unless an official thought the knee was deliberately being used to injure an opponent. I sureasheck am considering the nature of the first contact too. The first contact- the deliberate push- caused the fight imo. And that deliberate push by the Lawrence player showed a lack of self-control on his part also imo. And the succeeding excessive reaction has got nothing to do with us as officials either. In the video, if the Wichita player hadda just taken a swing back at the Lawrence kid and missed him completely, it would have been exactly the same call as him kicking the living snot out of the kid, which is what he did. Either way, it's still a fight with flagrant fouls being issued to each participant. It's someone else's job -league, police, etc.- to decide later if the retaliation was excessive, not ours.

It's a judgement call. Any official who's got some spit built up in his whistle, imo, knows the difference between a player fouling an opponent and a player cheap-shotting an opponent. Deliberate pushes, knees, etc. are cheap shots, and if the cheap shot leads directly to a fight, the rules tell us to penalize both players equally. We don't penalize one player more harshly because he might be stronger or a better fighter.