View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Care to elaborate on this? What "baseball and old school mentality" resulted in the LBR being added to the book?
Too many baseball coaches ended up with girl's FP (as least in my area, usually the male gym teacher). Many didn't know the game or how to deal with it or the girls, so they just acted like it was baseball. Baseball is a "live" ball game, but the runners are not confined to the bases and can move about the basepaths as they dare choose. In softball, the runner cannot do this.

The LBR just as well be an acronym for "Leash the Base Runner" as the purpose was to halt all the constant challenges on the basepaths when the pitcher had the ball and to "tie" the runner to the base until the next pitch.

So, this brings me back to my train of thought. If the runner is supposed to stay on the base when the pitcher has the ball in the circle, what can possibly happen?

Can the runner steal? No. Can the runner leave the base early on a pitch? No. Can the runner clear away or smooth an area which may be dangerous? NO. So, why not just call time, move into position and pitch the ball?

You have the same result as if the ball was live, NOTHING!

This is where the "old school" or the "if we change that, the world will collapse" group which just cannot accept change. No good reason it cannot be changed, it just can't because.....because....well, because......

Still waiting for that reason.