View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
Speaking for this area (Midwest), softball playing girls are....lazy. They walk from the dugout to their positions on the field, walk from the field to the dugout, walk to the batter's box, etc. Plus, the coaches think they need to huddle before the defense goes onto the field every inning. My solution: Enforce the 1 minute warmup rule between innings. If that means the pitcher gets only one pitch (or less!) then so be it.
That's a huge way to save 15 to 20 minutes in a game. If it takes the girls 2 to 2.5 minutes each half inning to get on the field and complete the warmups, then start telling the catcher "balls in" when she gets to her position. About the 3rd inning, she'll get the hint, and be out there on time, or have a coach warming up the pitcher. You'll have just saved 1 to 1.5 minutes each half inning, or 14-21 minutes in a 7-inning game.

Another way I help shave time when I'm the BU is, for example, a sliding steal of 2B that covers it up with dirt. A lot of Blue will call Time, then sweep off the bag for the runner who is now standing there. I just ignore it temporarily. There's no need to call Time and waste 15 to 20 seconds to sweep it off - unless it's totally burried and I can't see any of it. There'll be plenty of opportunities clean it later (inbetween innings, time-out for a lineup change, retrieval of a foul ball, etc). Besides, most of the time, the runner will take care of it for ya, with her feet or her hands.