View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Never was it suggested that an umpire ignore a rule. I want the rule GONE. I refer to a cheap out as one which was called using a specific rule for a violation that had zero bearing on the game. I'm not suggesting we ignore the rule. I'm suggesting the rule be eliminated.
And you are entitled to your opinion. The LBR is a good rule that holds the baserunners on a small diamond.

Quote:
WTF did this come from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
When all play is stopped.. I call time and say "ok throw the ball in lets go"...
At a play at the base I also call time when the play is over so they dont stand there holding their mit on the runner hoping for some cheap out. "Time - you can get up".. thats the end of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue in
I am a strong proponent of the quick time on the pick off play (as long as the ball is caught and there are no other runners going anywhere). That way, you don't that caught in a situation where a runner, who was already back to the base, either gets up and looses contact or gets pushed off the bag by a defensive player. Just got to be careful not to come up with that time and get caught with another runner trying to grab another base.
Why do you feel it necessary to drop an F-Bomb even if it is abbreviated. Not everyone here appreciates that stuff. I realize that most of the posters here are adults who have heard these things before but that is still no reason to throw out gratuitous profanity. You are an umpire and you were in the military. Self control is a virtue well used on and off the field.

Quote:
Really? Is that why most SP games are done in 20-30 minutes less than many, if not most, FP games without an active clock?
I don't do SP but when I played, there were way fewer pitches thrown since most of us put the ball in play on the first or second pitch. Lots of pop ups and ground outs? Players in a hurry to get to the coolers?

As an umpire, you have the right to call time whenever you want to call it and if that is what floats your boat, by all means call time

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"