View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Always Wright
Sorry but I am not mistaken. I have been a Yankees fan since the early 1960's. If you can, look at games from back then, or World Series games when an AL ump was working 2nd base and you will indeed see that they worked outside if there was a runner on 1st only. I am 100% certain of that.

Interesting that no one addressed my other point. If taking the throw over our shoulder gives us the best look at a play, why don't we do it on plays when the throw is coming from the outfield? Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating working outside. There are other issues to consider; ctblu40 is correct in stating that we may have to cover another base. Additionally, we are much more likely to get in the 2B or SS's way when working outside. I was simply pointing out that I think Roy made an interesting point. Most of us have probably never had the opportunity to take a steal or pickoff play at 2B from the outside. In 1990, I had the opportunity to work the Junior Olympic Super Series in Coral Springs, FL. It was run by USBF, and their 4-man mechanics at the time called for U2 to work outside if there was R2 only. Let me tell you it felt very weird, but I had a couple of pickoff plays and I thought I had a great look at them. Just something to consider.

Chris Wright