View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 01:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Sure, how does that conflict with what I said. The elbow/push just preceeded the beating and was something often seen in basketball...derserving of a quick whistle....but nothing more than a personal foul. You can't turn any personal foul that the opponent takes offense to into a T just becasue they retaliate.
It conflicts because you said that there was NO elbow, Camron. You said "taken alone....without prior incident". There was at least one prior elbowing incident that the Lawrence player admitted to though, and the opposing coach alleged that there were more elbows involved also. The kid admitted to an elbow followed by the push. Two distinct and separate acts. And why can't I turn an act that an opponent retaliates to into a fight btw? NFHS rule 4-18-2 sureasheck says that I can. Aamof that rule says that is the proper and correct call-"Fighting includes but is not limited to combative acts such as an attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsporting act towards an opponent that causes an opponent to retaliate by fighting". Imo a deliberate push sureasheck could be interpreted as an unsporting act if that deliberate push was immediately followed by a player retaliating by fighting. I'm also not changing any personal foul into a "T" either. With the fighting retaliation, I'm changing an intentional personal foul(the deliberate push without retaliation) into a flagrant personal foul for fighting when there was retaliation. NCAA rule 4-23-3(b) basically says the exact same thing as the FED rule too.

If a player swings at another player and misses, and the second player retaliates by swinging and knocking the first kid cold, breaking his nose and jaw at the same time, would you issue different fouls?

We're just gonna have to disagree on this one.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 01:14pm.