View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wright
I tend to agree with Roy. I think you would get a better look at the steal play at 2nd if you were on the outfield side of the base. Let's think about the position we take on a play at any base when the throw is coming from the outfield. Do we go to the OF side of the base and take the throw over our shoulder? No, we stay on the IF side and see the throw and the runner coming together. When we take plays at the plate, we usually go to the 1st or 3rd base line extended - in foul territory. We don't move in front of the plate - unless you're Bruce Froemming.

Way back in the old days when AL umps were still using the balloon, they always stayed on the OF side of 2nd base no matter what runners may or may not be on base. If I am not mistaken, I think the reason for being on the IF side of 2nd, especially with a runner on 1st, is to get a better look at the force play - you definitely get a better look on that play from there. Then again, I may be mistaken. A lot of coaches and players think I often am.

Chris Wright
We stay on the inside because more times than not, we have responsibilities at other bases as well.
Example, R1 stealing, throw goes into center field. How is BU going to beat R1 to third if he's outside?