View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Bainer,

CDP is an excellent first-rate complex and an excellent tournament. I'm going back for my third year straight in 4 weeks. It is a wonderful experience, although you'll find there are numerous guys on here who say that you are only making the owner richer and why would you umpire for "free", but there is so much more to it than that.

You'll arrive on Friday or Saturday and get checked in. There are opening ceremonies on Sat night with a parade of teams into the park (96 Teams), then they break off and have several skills competitions.

Sunday starts game play. They just have teams randomly playing one another on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday AM. Then they go thru and seed all 96 teams for a single elimination tourney. The tourney wraps up on Thursday afternoon, with only two remaining. There is then a closing ceremony where the players and umpires receive the AYBHOF Ring.
Then at 9:15 on Thursday there are fireworks and the championship game.

They have expanded to 22 fields this year (all with lights and look the same)
There will be 5-6 games per day on each field. Last year, they assigned a "crew chief" to each field. Each crew chief had some umpires assigned to the field as well. That crew of guys worked all the games on that field that week.

In the evenings, we'd run up to the Pizza Hut or Steakhouse and tip a couple cold ones and hold "safety meetings".

As for the free items, you will receive two decent quality pull-over shirts, a nice pull-over jacket, hat & ball bag (poor quality), a Navy T-Shirt, and a water bottle. There are photographers at each game and they'll be more than happy to take an action shot of you working the game. You can then buy that from them and have something to keep.

I would agree that the place makes a ton of money. That is no doubt. But the owner has put a lot of time and effort into making CDP what it is today. Because they make money (lots of it) is no reason for guys to go around bashing the complex or those of that go there. I have plenty of weeks of vacation and have a team whose paying my travel there and then some. I'm not losing anything.

If you'd like more information or have additional questions, please feel free to PM me!