View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92
  • A1 secured loose ball then elbowed B1 in the midsection
From the video, I cannot tell 100% that he made contact when he swung around. I don't see B1 bend over as to what a normal reaction would be if he'd taken a hard shot to the midsection. If no contact, then I have an excessive swinging of arms violaton. If any contact, then I have a player control foul.
  • B1 got in A1's face on the way up the court
I stop play, get those two together, tell them that nothing extra-curricular is going to happen during this ballgame and that they are being watched. Then I inform my partner to keep an eye on both players.
  • A1 & B1 kept running their mouths at each on the way up the court
Depending on the severity of the exchange, I either stop play and give them the "your both being watched" lecture, or a double technical foul.
  • A1 shoves B1
I have a personal foul on A1, based on the video and what I saw.

And for the takedown and pummelling, I have a fragrant technical and B1 is gone.

Interestingly, as the players are coming up the court you can see a coach for Team B jumping up and down, wanting either a double dribble or a travel, can't really make it out. I would have thought he'd be complaining about that thrown elbow?? I mean, he was a lot closer to the play than the video camera. Maybe it wasn't as bad as you and some others are making it out to be.......JMO
I too saw the double dribble (didn't notice the coach). The A1 picked up the loose ball, dribble 2-3 times before catching the ball and pivoting (possible elbow), dribbled again, caught the ball, then passed. I don't think the elbows appeared to turn any faster then the body...so no elbow violation. I also agree that it looks like there was no contact on that elbow/pivot based on the reactions of B1. The push by A1 (taken alone...without prior incident) was a garden variety push....worthy of a personal foul..nothing more. B1 whould get a flagrant T for fighting...an expected response would have been a return push, not a beating.

As far as the legal element, A1's push was not criminal. It was a rules violation but not crime. B1's actions passed way beyond a rules violation and certainly appeared to be criminal. The actions appeared unprovoked; you should expect to be pushed in basketball from time to time.