Thread: communiciation
View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ive had this situation come back to bite me in the past. HS game 2 years ago, I was new trail running up table sideline near the coach. Long cross court pass, 50 feet away to a possible foul situation right in the slot's lap and the coach yells at me....WHAT, NO FOUL. Now, I've always been taught that if it's nothing from 5, it's nothing from 55. This play in particular, I would have been guessing at best on a call and with the slot on top of it, I passed.

I made the mistake in answering Coach - thats not my call. 3 min later, I ended up sticking him. Now - did he earn his T.....yeah. Did I help nudge the situation in that direction with my choice of wording? - yes.

At camp this summer, I heard the same thing Brad said: Telling a coach "That's not my call" is unacceptable! and hurts us as a crew.

What I now say is "Coach, my partner had a great look at that play, he'll be over in a few" or Coach, I had a different matchup, you'll have to ask my partner when he gets over here". I think in the case of my play above, I might say "Coach, I switched off ball when the play left my primary and didnt have a look, you will need to ask my partner"