View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 03:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
1) I feel that too many here have lost sight that this is a basketball game, played with officials, within a defined set of rules....which carry specific penalties.

2) If the official sees the first push and determines it intentional...the penalty is well prescribed by rule.

3) I am embarrassed that anyone here suggests in any way that is acceptable action on a basketball court, played in a game with officials.

4) So what if the Lawrence kid "started it" with a shove. The other player's actions are a disgrace and a crime.
1) Yup, and it looks like you've forgotten that too and you're trying to impose your own penalties, with more severe action required on one player. Sorry, but that ain't our job. Any post-game action belongs to the league these kids played in and the prosecutor looking at the fight. All the officials do is decide the penalties for the fight that occurred, and afaik none of us are privy to what they actually called and their post-game report. I already stated what my call would be after looking at the video. What would you call as an official?

2) Yup, and I posted the rules. If it's a fight provoked by a push, both players should receive flagrant personal fouls for fighting. Any further action beyond that is the responsibility of the league and the police. Are you saying that the Lawrence player shouldn't receive that penalty?

3) Not one poster to date has said that the actions of the Wichita player were acceptable . Not one! If you think differently, please post an example.

4) "So what if the Lawrence player started it with a shove"?- Um, maybe because if the Lawrence player hadn't have started it with a shove, there might not have been a fight in the first place? Did you ever think of that? Sorry, but that statement is absolutely ridiculous imo.