View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
SCUMP,

A little perspective, please. No matter which pony you backed during the strike, the common denominator is that PLAYERS AND COACHES B**TCH NO MATTER WHO OR WHAT IS CALLING BALLS AND STRIKES !!!!!

They (the players and coaches) need a scapegoat when they don't perform well, or as they think they should. And we, as umpires, are that "excuse". NO MATTER WHO THE UMPIRE IS, OR HIS LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY.

Doug
Uh, Doug...that was the point for the past two months. AMLU supporters touted that professional umpires don't have their calls second guessed. Most of us laughed and reminded them of the MLB brethren that regularly get skewered. Some of us reminded them that we knew they were using 'homer' writers to get their message in the papers. One MiLB umpire's mother was responsible for many of those stories being placed in the public eye.

If you recall, when the end of the strike was announced, I wrote: "Great, I can't wait to see a perfect game finally get called." The sarcasm was dripping and aimed at all those who felt that the replacements were horrible. I also told them to remember that someday they would rejoin the amateur ranks and never be capable of doing a good job again. (grin)

Relax...the AMLU still has their SCAB index page up on their site. Obviously they haven't forgotten what transpired and never learned what the word 'professional' means.