View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
Lets see. The umpires got the call right. Benches cleared. They ejected a few players from both team. The game then continued without another problem.

wWTB, what did they do wrong? Did one of the teams forfeit because the umpires lost control? Sounds to me like they handled this well. Nowhere in this article did the writer say the umpires lost control.

Nice stretch here. No one said that fights would be avoided. We always just said that they would be handled better.

I may not agree with everything you say WWTB. But we have a similar background and even you must admit you were a little off base to say that things like this wouldn't happen with real umpires on the field. Statements like that are just trying to bring back the amlu/scab arguments. Your sarcasm is inapplicable and immature.
Actually, Ben, WTTB is making reference to others, who, during the TOR (time of replacements) made the exact comment that "these fights wouldn't happen if the MiLB umpires were on the field." It is they who were off base at the time.

I think WTTB sees a difference between "trying to bring back the amlu/scab arguments" and zinging a few who were a bit overzealous in their complaints of the replacements. You may not.

I do agree with you that it's time for those on both sides of that issue to move on, but it's just not happening. As a counter to WTTB and others, remember that the AMLU still has a page, available to members only, that lists the replacement umpires and their locations along with a few insults. It would appear that neither side is ready to reconcile.

Pity.