View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 01:19pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Been with scorekeepers like that. Some people get into watching the game and forget they have a job to do.

One thing that helps is to make sure the book and scoreboard match the benches, i.e. the bench on the right is on the right page, the bench on the left is on the left page. This might seem simple, but a number of summer tournaments screw this up since they might assign the home and away teams based on a coin toss after the books have been filled out and the benches assisgned. Nobody cares who the home team is on a neutral court, so settle the seating assignments as soon as the teams come out for warmups, and make sure the scoreboard, the book and the benches are coordinated.

Other than that, all you can do is repeat all the information you get - "Two points Red Team, number 21" "Foul on 3 Blue, his 3rd foul" and hope the nitwit gets the message.
This is what I try to do. I have my own printed score/stat sheets I like to use whenever possible and I will align them in the directiont hey are trying to score. Makes things work a lot easier for me. YMMV.

Had a situation last fall at an away game (MS Girls) where they had a non-playing girl on the book. It seemed like she missed a foul late in the A game, but since it had no bearing on the game itself (both teams already in the double bonus), I just made a mental note to be more active in making sure the two books agreed in the B game. And aside from an official who felt the visiting scorekeeper doesn't belong at the scorers table, we had no problems whatsoever with both books agreeing.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball