View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Question

I have a couple questions from the NCAA Men's Rules Quiz that I got wrong, and I honestly don't understand why. I'm hoping that somebody can explain why these situations are ruled as they are.

1) A1's try is blocked. A2 and B2 simultaneously recover the ball. The AP arrow favors team A. Official awards the ball to Team A and resets the shot clock. Is the official correct?

The answer is yes. But why would you reset it? If there was no shot, and a held ball, with the arrow favoring the offensive team, there's no reset. Why does the shot matter? If A1 shoots an airball and another player from A recovers, there's no reset.

The rules citation is 2-13-6.c, which says you reset on any held ball (!) with some exceptions. I guess I didn't remember that clause. So maybe my question is, why is "c" in there? Why reset on a held ball if there's no change of possession? Additionally, would you also reset the shot clock if, instead of a block by B1, A1 shoots and airball and then A2 and B2 recover?

2) A5 is fouled while in the act of shooting. The try is unsuccessful. Before the free throws, A5 is charged with a technical foul. This is A5's 5th foul, but the scorer does not inform the official. After the free throws for the technical fouls, A5 attempts and makes both free throws. The error is now recognized. The official rules that this can be corrected under the correctable error rule. Is the official correct?

The answer is no, and the rules citation (2-11, A.R. 20) makes it pretty explicit. But it seems that in this sort of case, we have a player who was clearly not entitled to shoot his free throws. Why not allow this to be correctable? It wasn't the player's fault, so I'm not saying he should be additionally penalized. But why not just wipe the FT's and let the sub shoot them, as should've happened in the first place?

Any comments that would help me make some sense of these situations in my head would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chuck