View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Miss a base in reverse

ASA FP. Bases loaded. 1 out. I'm PU. B4 hits a long fly ball to left. All the runners take off once the ball's in the air 'cause they are thinking that there's no way F7 is gonna catch it. But she runs it down and does catch it. Out 2. R1 from third had touched home but by the time she realized what was going on, F7 had thrown the ball to F5 who touched third for out 3, which I called. NOW...at the same time as F7's throw to F5, R2 from second, who had touched third base, runs directly to 2nd base without retouching third. Once she reaches 2nd base, and at the same time as I called out 3 on R1, my BU partner calls R2 out (what for?, I thought). No one noticed his call 'cause they were all watching the throw to third base to put out R1.

Between innings, BU was explaining that since she missed a base in reverse, once she touches the next base she's automatically out. What? Is this true? Don't have rule book with me, but I thought she had to be appealed for an out just as if she missed base running in forward direction. (Not that it mattered in this play, but what if we had no outs at TOP...?)