View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 04:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
While you shouldn't have been looking at what you were looking at (and a good BU would know that you weren't looking, and probably wouldn't come to you anyway), the fact that you were let you give information when asked.
While I agree that a good BU should have made the correct call himself, without having to ask for help, I disagree in that I feel the PU should have been watching for the touches of 3rd and home, as well as the pulled foot/swipe tag at 1st. All it takes is to glance at touches, it doesn't require a stare-down with the runners.

When there is a 1st to 3rd situation with R1 and R3, for example, I move up the line toward third, glance back to see R3's touch of home, and continue on my way to cover R1 coming into 3rd. I don't need to stay home and wait for R3's touch. I am able to perform several tasks at once.

I think the same thing applies here. The PU can see R2 touch 3rd, R3 touch home, and still follow the ball to its destination.

This is what the Official Rules Of Baseball says in its charge to umpires:

"Keep your eye everlastingly on the ball while it is in play. It is more vital to know just where a fly ball fell, or a thrown ball finished up, than whether or not a runner missed a base."

It goes on to say:

"If you are sure you got the play correctly, do not be stampeded by players' appeals to "ask the other man." If not sure, ask one of your associates. Do not carry this to extremes, be alert and get your own plays. But remember! The first requisite is to get decisions correctly. If in doubt don't hesitsate to consult your associate. Umpire dignity is important but never important as "being right.""
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25