View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I suggest you get yourself out to a clinic once in a while to learn about touch responsibilities instead of making it up yourself. You have to make sure you see him touch homeplate!

Tim.
I don't need a clinic re: this issue. I know the mechanic and I know I'm arguing against it. I've said so in two other posts.

Why is it that some rules can be compromised with virtually universal approval and yet a mechanic cannot?

The odds of R3 missing the plate in this situation and being seen by a defensive player and being appealed is extremely miniscual.
The likelihood of BU asking PU for help at first, not so unlikely, in fact not even considered out of the ordinary.
So if you're playing the odds, where should you're eyes be to most likely avoid the proverbial SH**storm.
Let me finnish with this.

If, as in this case, F3 misses the bag, how many people, players, coaches, spectators and evaluators saw it? I'd say at minimum, 1st base coach, everyone in 3rd base dugout, most spectators on 3rd base side, pitcher, catcher and PU if he was looking.
If PU doesn't see this there's a whole lot of people wondering how this crew missed such an obvious call.
If, same situation R3 misses home, how many people see it?
I'd say, if any, 1.
Which of the two calls do you want to get right?