Thread: Camp notes....
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman

Maybe I'm not hearing you right, but this is not how "pinch the paint" is explained around here. Pinching the paint means stepping into the paint, not away from it. That's how it's used at camps on the east coast, anyway.

You heard me right. They want us to take two steps back to get a wider view. I found it interesting. I tried it a few times and am not completely comfortable with it yet.

If you said "almost never", I'd go with you on this. But there's always that one-in-a-million time when nobody had a look. That's why the rule is there. Hopefully, you won't make it up just to avoid the arrow.

This wasn't necessarily my philosophy Chuck, I was just relating info from the camp and the D-1 clinicians. The philosophy was that it was better to have the third guy take a WAG then have the whole crew look like three blind mice.

Z
I heard quite a bit about "pinching the paint" in my camp this last weekend too. In this case, they were talking about taking a couple of steps into the paint. Of course, it would be good to be a couple of steps off the baseline when you do this to widen your view.

I agree with Chuck on the "almost never." I had this happen in one of my camp games. I'm at T and the ball comes squirting into my area along the floor. It came from C and I have no idea who touched it last. The ball goes OOB and I go to the C for help and am rewarded with a power shoulder shrug. L is unable to help as well. I have no choice but to go to the arrow. Now you can argue that the C should have known, and he should have. Some would argue that he should have guessed, but I've always felt that most people know which way it should go and to guess wrong makes it obvious that you're guessing and destroys credibility worse than going to the arrow. JMO